Thursday 16 February 2012

Who does he think he is?

"I was kind of in a bad mood and when he brings on [Nigel] de Jong and takes off [Edin] Dzeko, and we're losing 2-0, I thought it was a defensive substitution so I decided to sit back on the bench," he said.
"At the same time Dzeko comes off and is really angry and has a go at Mancini. He then sees the tunnel is closed so he has to sit down next to him and they start to have an argument.
"Dzeko was speaking Bosnian and Mancini would swear at him in Italian so it was a real mess. So I go and sit down and he doesn't see me because he's having this discussion. But then he turns around and sees me and you can imagine what happens.
"He's in the middle of an argument so then he tells me to keep on warming up and treats me like a dog.
"So when he spoke to me in that tone of voice, and I said 'No, I'm not going out'. So I was willing to play, but the coach was in such a foul mood because he had that argument with Dzeko.
These were the words of Carlo Tevez, Premier League leaders Manchester City's around £200,000 a week striker who is currently on strike having been disciplined for the refusal he outlined above. 
I couldn't believe the cheek of his words, refusing to warm up just because his boss spoke to him rudely. If my boss asked me to do something rudely, I might be irritated but I would do it because ultimately he is the one who signs my cheque, a cheque which is around 1/800th of Tevez's weekly wage. It would take me 20 years to earn what he does in a week. 
But this is the world we live in today. The common mindset is that it is all about us, we treat ourselves like God and anybody or anything that doesn't fit in with our desires is rejected.
G.K. Chesterton said, 'For when we cease to worship God, we do not worship nothing, we worship anything'. In today's selfish world that includes ourselves, woman, drink, drugs, careers, sports team and many other unworthy things.
When we seek proof for the existence of God, we put God on trial. And guess who is the judge? We make ourselves God and even if we find the proof we need it still isn't good enough because when we see something negative it brings us back down. There is plenty of great, reliable evidence for God and plenty of good answers to the difficult questions but when we depend on our own judgement alone we will never submit to God in our lives. Submitting to God means denying our own judgement and trusting Him alone regardless of what we hear and see, making Him God of our lives. 
We know He is real, let's truly put our trust in Him :-)


The greatest act of faith takes place when a man finally decides that he is not God.Johann Wolfgang Goethe

No comments:

Post a Comment