Thursday 3 November 2011

A-Z of Christianity 'E'

The A-Z series continues with 'E' - ETERNITY

Before I used to really struggle with Heaven. The reason I used to struggle was that I just couldn't imagine it, I couldn't get my head around such a place. The Biblical account is very powerful yet likely to be mostly metaphorical with the mention of  beasts and dragons etc. Throughout Revelation it almost reads as if some final ceremony is taking place. Obviously, it sounds very other worldly.
But that was until I read Don Piper's account.

On January 18 1989 Piper was involved in a horrific collision with a lorry whilst driving home from a conference. Piper states he was crushed by the roof of his car, the steering wheel impaled his chest and the dashboard collapsed on top of his legs. When the emergency services arrived they declared Piper dead and covered him over as they waited for the medical examiner to arrive.
Piper was dead for around 90 minutes and during his time he visited Heaven, an experience explained in his New York best seller book '90 minutes in Heaven'. Piper speaks of the first people he met being the people who helped him find God in his life and obviously he was able to recognise them. He writes of gold paths that you could see your reflection in, a choir of angels and a light on a hill (which makes me excited because maybe that is where God was actually present!). This experience obviously changed his life and he felt his calling was to tell others about it.

This is my favourite description of Heaven from the Bible:-

Revelation 21

A New Heaven and a New Earth
1 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

The main issue most people have with the world we live in is all of the terrible things that happen. God actually created a world without those things but, by giving us choice, enabled us to bring sin in if we wished. Heaven will have no terrible things, there is no death, mourning, crying or pain.

As sinners we are not worthy of such a place but God created Heaven so He could be with us forever. The way in which we can punch our ticket there is by simply trusting in God and accepting the forgiveness for our sins God so clearly offered through Jesus.

I did that over five years ago and it is by far the best decision I have ever made. If you have more questions or thoughts before you commit then please message me - mjw6150@hotmail.com

Hopefully see you all there!

Grace, Peace & Blessings :-)

1 comment:

  1. When I was at the Steiner School we used to have a class called 'Religion' and it was always taught through telling stories-t was my favourite subject. I remember being told the stories of Jesus for what I think was a whole school year. However the one book that has stayed with me my whole life was 'The Brothers Lionheart' by Astrid Lindgren. I was 9 years old when it was read to me during this lesson and going through the hardest time I had ever faced in my life up to then.

    I always hoped that this was what heaven would be like. I really recommend it but I should probably read it again! In fact I may blog about it today.

    Thank you so much for reminding me how God spoke to me when I was so little and so sad.

    xx

    ReplyDelete