Monday 9 January 2012

The blessings of Prayer

Tonight was the first night of achieving one of my New Year's Resolutions to spend one night of my normal week with God in prayer, Bible study and reading. It went very well I am pleased to say and I am feeling the blessings already. When I commit time to God I always feel more at peace and always learn something about myself, about what I need to do/change or am just really encouraged by God.

I wanted to share a quote that really blessed me and challenged me about the benefits prayer brings :)

'Where was it that Jesus sweat great drops of blood? Not in Pilate's Hall, nor on his way to Golgotha. It was in the Garden of Gethsemane. There He 'offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the One who could cave him from death' (Hebrews 5:7). Had I been there and witnessed that struggle, I would have worried about the future. 'If he is so broken up when all he is doing is praying,' I might have said, 'what will he do when he faces a real crisis? Why can't he approach this ordeal with the calm confidence of his three sleeping friends? Yet, when the test came, Jesus walked to the cross with courage, and his three friends fell apart and fell away.'


Haddon Robinson quoted in 'Prayer' by Philip Yancey


Don't fall apart or fall away, be strong and courageous in Jesus :) Last year my official theme was Love, this year it will be largely be courage. I want to be more courageous in serving God and I hope you can join me on this journey.

3 comments:

  1. Such a great quote :) I think you should finish this book so I can read it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's more great thought and quotes just from one chapter! Well if I keep making time for God then I will soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having said that, I think my Dad might have a copy of it...which he only told me about once I bought it haha. So you can have that one :)

    ReplyDelete