Tuesday 14 December 2010

The Meaning of Christmas - God Provides

Tonight I was delivering leaflets for my local churches' Christmas services and I was thinking about God being a deliverer Himself.

In Genesis 22, Abraham is asked to sacrifice his son Isaac. This is a horrific request on its own. But Isaac was also Abraham's miracle son after years of trying. Abraham figured that God was powerful enough to raise people from the dead (very wise!) and was about to go through with it.

But God stopped Abraham last minute as it was only a test of how much he feared God and God provided a lamb for him to sacrifice instead. The significant verse is this one:-

Genesis 22:14 - So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided.”

Why on earth is this significant at Christmas?

Well let me explain. The qualification to get into Heaven is perfection. No human being has lived a perfect live, we have all royally screwed it all up at some point. This is obviously a big problem as I imagine pretty much anyone will want to go to Heaven!?

The verse in Genesis is important as it is what is known as Biblical prophecy. This means it is something the Bible predicted would happen in the future.

On the exact same mountain (Mt Moriah in Jerusalem), 2000 years after Abraham probably let a huge sigh of relief having not have to sacrifice his son, Jesus declared 'It is Finished' (Psalm 22 is the Biblical prophecy for Jesus saying that!) as He gave up His spirit, having given up His perfect life on a bit of wood.

On the cross, Jesus offered His perfect live to anyone who would ask for it, in exchange for our imperfect lives.

Christmas was the great start of God's Salvation plan for us, for it is when Jesus came into the world through an amazing miracle virgin birth (the Biblical prophecy for this is Isaiah 7:14).

Let's remember God's Providence this Christmas =)

12 comments:

  1. So this story has been on my heart a lot lately and wow! This just hit me in the face because as much as I've been thinking about when Abraham sacrificed Isaac I haven't been focusing on how God provides :) Thanks for that very needed reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No prob Bob! :)

    I am going to have to just send you the non-Spain Christmas presents soon anyway just to make sure you get them before haha :)

    Don't worry, I don't expect anything but I am realistic enough to know if you do choose to send something, it may not get to me until Christmas next year :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha well I look forward to receiving the non-Spain Christmas presents haha...maybe one of these days I'll finally be in Spain and can receive the others haha

    And I would just like to point out that your Christmas present and Rea's extremely late birthday are going to be mailed this afternoon haha :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one day quicker than me at sending stuff! :)

    Hope your doing great, it has snowed here again!?! Got loads of it haha, didn't go to work today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :)

    It snowed again! It's warm here once again...like your summertime haha...well hopefully y'all will end up with a white Christmas :D

    Hope you're doing great, too!! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have ten inches now!! Once you're back on facebook you can see the pics I put up, I tried a snow angel and almost buried myself alive!

    It may snow on Monday as well, for an official white Christmas we just need a few inches on the ground and it may happen. A REAL white Christmas in my eyes is when it snows on Christmas Eve evening or on Christmas Day morning!

    You too! Stuck in the house haha but I'll try :) Grace & Peace!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10 inches! I cannot even begin to imagine what that's like haha...I'll definitely check them out in 2 weeks when I'm back on facebook :)

    Well, I hope you get a REAL white Christmas and not just an official white Christmas :) One of my goals in life is to have a real white Christmas, but that'll mean I won't be celebrating in FL b/c the closest thing we've ever had to white Christmas is the year we built our pool and they were re-doing the golf course we live on and the backyard was covered with white sugar sand haha

    Well it's better than being stuck in the snow haha...if you get too bored while stuck in the house i'm pretty free if you'd want to skype! Have a great Sunday! Grace and Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's deep, and not in the philosophical sense!

    Hahaha, I suppose it was white? I think you are clearly going to have to come to Wales for Christmas to realise that dream :D
    A real white Christmas would actually ruin it for us as we wouldn't be able to get to my Uncle's for Christmas Day!! I hope it can bypass us and go to Florida instead :)

    I'd love that! I will probably be back in work this week but I will log on when I'm free in the hope you might be on! :)

    You too! God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha :)

    Yeah it was white...I don't think I would mind celebrating Christmas in Wales :) There are some awesome people there! And now I have absolutely must come back b/c the bracelet that I've been wearing since I left broke today! So it's time for me to come back haha...I hope you don't get a real white Christmas and instead have a Florida style Christmas :)

    Well if it works then great and if not that'll just mean when we're finally able to again it will be amazing (but every time we skype it's amazing so haha)

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I have finished work early today because of more snow!! The roads were almost white coming home and it was an interesting drive, especially getting up my hill!!

    But I may be available for Skype later, around 4-6.30ish our time if that is okay :)

    It's definitly time for you to come back but I wouldn't right now because all our airports as closed!! You could always swim :P

    Have a GREAT day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! I bet that was an interesting experience...glad you to hear you made it home safe :)

    I am almost 100% positive that I can skype between those times :D

    Yeah I'll wait for the snow to clear...I'd prefer not to swim the Atlantic haha

    Have a MARVELOUS day :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really enjoyed Skype tonight! Sorry if I appeared tired, I really was! haha. Hope to speak soon :)

    Hope you had a great day, God Bless you!

    Job 37:5-6

    ReplyDelete