Thursday 10 February 2011

Key Element of Friendship #2

Witnessing

When I say that a key element of a friendship is witnessing I imagine most people will think of being there for someone on their journey to knowing God. But I think the Bible calls us to more than that.

In Matthew 28 it doesn't ask us to convert all nations, it asks us to make disciples of all nations. I believe there is a huge difference between someone who says they are a Christian, they believe in God and somebody is a Follower of Jesus. To sum it up, some call themselves Christians and others are called Christians by others (the Disciples were named Christians by outsiders).

One of the biggest blessings I have had is people in my life who have been there for me in hard times, shared verses with me and asked after me. There have been people in my life who have seen me grown in faith and as a person. I have a close friend who has gone through a massive change in her life recently and it has been a joy to be in touch with her and see God at work in her life.

In the Bible Jesus did it with the disciples, Elijah with Elisha, Paul with countless Churches and so on.

I think we are called to do that with others, to see where they are in live, to encourage them, to watch them grow.


2 comments:

  1. Such truth that as Christians we are called to help one another grow in our faith and encourage one another. Gosh, I cannot even begin to imagine what the Christian life would be like if everyone stopped once a person got saved and didn't take the time to invest in them and help them grow (well, unfortunately I have seen this happen but I don't believe it's what God desires). Thankfully we are called to do live together as part of the community of Christ :)

    And forgive me if I am being presumptuous, but it has been quite a joy to share this major life change with you...thankful to share this journey with you :) (but again please forgive me if I'm being presumptuous and you're talking about someone else haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!

    You are not being presumptous one bit :)
    I feel very blessed to have been a part of your journey and to get to continue to be! :D

    ReplyDelete