Saturday 5 February 2011

My 5th Birthday!

Today is my 5th birthday. Confused?

I was born of the flesh 12 May 1988 which makes me 22 and whilst that is true and what you may be thinking here is why I am also 5.

Christians speak of being 'Born Again'. This isn't because we go back into the womb and come back out (yuk). It is because we believe that, when we give our lives to Jesus, God enters us through the Holy Spirit and we are therefore 'Born of the Spirit'.

I was Born Again on 5 February 2006 and I'd do it again and again if I had the chance. I can tell you it is an AMAZING experience (obviously, God entering you isn't exactly going to underwhelm is it?) and it has been a joy to hear others through my youthwork and my Church also testify to this having happened.

In the Gospel of John, Jesus speaks to a Pharisee teacher Nicodemus about this:-

John 3:1-8

 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”
 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
“How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”
 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
 
If you want to be born again, just ask God to forgive you for your sins and enter your life tonight.
If you want to talk about things, you know how to find me :-)

4 comments:

  1. Happy 5th Birthday Mike! I wish I had a big badge to give you with "5 Today!" written on it! It is important to remember these days, I always count the day I became a church as my BA Birthday (5th December 1998) which was 12 years ago!
    Hope you found a great way to mark it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that would be awesome!

    I think you wrote something wrong, you became a Church? haha

    Just had a nice relaxing day with family and friends :-) Cardiff gave me a great present today aha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooops! Haha. I meant to write 'church member'! I think the cat was jumping around and on my feet at the time!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha ok :-)

    When Cardiff scored today I screamed so loud that the cat ran out of the room and we couldn't find her. She had a tough time during the football as I morphed into a little girl every time Cardiff got close to the goal haha. So it's Humans 1-1 Cats today with both of us haha :-)

    ReplyDelete