Wednesday 2 February 2011

Liar Liar

Recently, after some persuasion by my brother, I have joined the Twitter fraternity. I actually joined the website some time ago but didn't get how it worked. Joel showed me over Christmas how he got all these updates from celebrities and Cardiff City players such as Jay Bothroyd and I was impressed!

Whilst online today (received two replies to questions from Bothroyd!) I noticed something in the 'trends' section. Twitter has a section devoted to the top things people are writing about which are known as 'trends'.

One of the top trends today was 'famouslies', these were some of those that people had wrote:-
  • I'll love you forever
  • "I have read and agree to the terms of use"
  • "Can I have a piece of gum?" Sorry that was my last piece !
  •  I didn't get your text.
It is so easy to lie, you can do it without even thinking about it. Even tonight, I was asked something and my answer wasn't true. It wasn't serious or deliberate or even necessary but I just didn't think. I hate it when it happens and I believe we have to be watchful of these things in our lives as all sin is serious.

1 Peter 2:1 
Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.

In our world today lies aren't hated as much. 'White' lies are even considered good. For example, telling someone they look great when you don't think they do.

I know that whenever I lie, it hurts my soul. I feel bad and I don't want to live in guilt and I don't want to live in such a world. I want to live a life set free in reality.

John 8:32
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Truth always gets found out. If you tell someone they look great and they don't. They might know your just humouring them and won't believe you in the future. Or someone else will could tell them and they'll still get really upset. My experience is that lying never pays.

My advice is to be totally honest, when faced with the question 'How do I look?'. This could be a genuinely truthful response, 'I don't think that outfit suits you, but you still look beautiful'. Honesty and truthfulness, think about it...it makes sense.

Job 12:13
“To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are his.

God is all wise & all knowing, and is only interested in what is best for us, His creation. God says don't lie, I'm going to trust Him!

Colossians 3:9
Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices,







2 comments:

  1. Completely agree! The truth isn't always a comfortable message but to me it's so important that I always get honesty. Then I can deal with it, it's the 'not being sure' that can be the killer. I'd be lying if I said that I'd never lied but I think honesty and authenticity are the only way to be-there's no middle ground on that.
    Perhaps if you have time and feel the inclination you could write a blog about how being a Christian affects how we behave in our relationships? All sorts of relationships I mean, not just romantic ones.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is so important to me too. A real relationship is one where you get the real person and that involves honesty on both sides.

    Hmmm that is a good idea. I'll think about it :-)

    ReplyDelete